Ref NoWBA/BT/NZ
TitleBoots the Chemists (New Zealand) Ltd
DescriptionThis collection comprises the records of Boots Cash Chemists (New Zealand) Ltd. The catalogue is in the process of being updated and additional entries for this series are anticipated.
LevelSubFonds
Administrative HistoryThe retailing division of the New Zealand company commenced trading in 1936 with a store in Wellington, followed shortly afterwards by another in Auckland. These were Boots first retail branches outside the UK.

In 1962 Boots applied to the Pharmacy Authority under the New Zealand Pharmacy Act, for permission to open a store in Porirua. The Pharmacy Guild opposed the request believing that one pharmacy should have one owner. Several hearings were held as to whether Boots should be granted a licence to open a pharmacy in Porirua and hearings were held in the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal and finally before the Privy Council in the UK, where Boots were eventually granted a final decision in their favour in 1969. Following this prolonged application, a new Pharmacy Act was passed in 1970 allowing the continuation of existing company pharmacies, but preventing the establishment of any new ones.

In 1978 the company consisted principally of nine pharmacies from Auckland in the North Island to Dunedin in the South.

In August 1990 it was announced by K. Ackroyd, Managing Director, that Boots had made the decision to cease retail operations in New Zealand. He stated that the opportunities for growth in New Zealand were limited as the laws there did not allow for the expansion of multiple pharmacy chains. At this point Boots had 16 stores in New Zealand. However, Boots Pharmaceuticals Division in New Zealand continued as it contributed over 80% of New Zealand profit.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017