Ref NoWBA/BT/BN
TitleBoots The Chemists (Northern) Ltd
DescriptionThis collection comprises the records of Boots Cash Chemists Northern Ltd. The catalogue is in the process of being updated and additional entries for this series are anticipated.
LevelSubFonds
Administrative HistoryIn 1892, Boots Pure Drug Company created its first subsidiary, Boots Ltd and invited customers to purchase shares over the counter within Boots shops, as a means of generating funds to develop the business further. As the store network expanded the company created further subsidiaries; Boots Cash Chemists (Western) Ltd. in 1897, Boots Cash Chemists (Lancashire) Ltd. in 1899, Boots Cash Chemists (Eastern) Ltd, 1900, Boots Cash Chemists (Southern) Ltd. in 1901 and Boots Cash Chemists (Northern) Ltd. 1910, which remained dormant until 1919. These companies offered preference shares to the public.

This Northern arm of Boots retail network covered all stores in Scotland and her islands, as well as Northumberland, Northern Ireland, County Durham, North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, North Humberside, Tyne & Wear, Cleveland and Bolton (Greater Manchester)

On 1 April 1968 under a scheme of reorganisation to improve the efficiency of the Group, Boots The Chemists Ltd acquired the undertakings and assets of the 5 above companies which went into liquidation on 29 March 1968.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017